Old July 21st 04, 06:34 PM
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"JBM" writes:
Did you read the instructions for that BIOS upgrade?
Sometimes Asus releases a bios with instructions not
to use the built-in flash utility but to use the most
recent version of asusupdate or afudos or aflash
depending on the chip set.

I didn't see anything that looked like per-bios rev instructions. The
zip file had, well, zip in it other than the ROM image itself. The so
called release notes said only something about new cpu's.

I forgot to say I also ruined the BIOS when I tried to flash the bios on
my k8v-se dlx using ezflash. No matter what I tried to do to recover
it would not boot. Apparently because the boot block was munged.
Anyway I got a new BIOS chip from www.badflash.com they'll either
program your old chip or send you a new one. I also sent an e-mail to
asus asking then about a new bios chip, but I haven't heard from them
yet.

Well, we have two data points that EZFLASH has some serious problems.

The part about Asus not getting back to you is disconcerting. Maybe I
should just drive down their. Their US address is only a few miles
down the road from me in Fremont. I was hoping I could just pick up a
working flash with current firmware (and a hopefully working version
of EZFLASH in that firmware!).

-wolfgang
New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html