Old July 21st 04, 08:42 AM
Paul

In article , Charlie Root
wrote:

I got a chance to try Asus's crashfree bios2 on my k8v-se-d. That
feature works as well as the Asus's EZFLASH for the board, meaning not
at all.

The EZFLASH program found the new bios on the floppy, correctly erased
the flash, and then griped that it couldn't burn the new bios onto
flash. It effectively stopped there. Hitting the reset didn't cause
the crashfree-bios to find that the old bios in flash was defective
and get a new one from floppy. As far as I could tell it did nothing.
Ditto for putting the distribution CD into the dvd drive as instructed
in the manual. It also didn't load the original distribution bios
back.

I'm just beside myself that some firmware engineer at Asus would write
a flash program that didn't check that everything was in order before
erasing vital information.

-wolfgang

Have you tried the clear the cmos procedure
(with the computer unplugged) ?

What about pressing alt f2 at powerup, with a floppy or
CD in the drive with a file at the root level with the
right file name ? I think on my motherboard CD, there is
a P4C800ED.ROM file or something on it. You may need to
rename whatever file you are feeding it, to whatever
the default name is for your board (K8VSEDX.ROM). If you
examine your CD on another computer, you should be able to
see that file at the top (root) level.

The only reason I suggest that, is I've been searching on
"crashfree" and reading threads over on Abxzone. And there
are other boards that fail the crashfree test. The complicating
factor seems to involve the boot block. Either the boot block
programming was defective in the first place (the bad Asus
firmware engineer theory) or one of those "wrapper script"
flash programs was provided with the BIOS release, and it
includes the param to specify erasing the boot block as well.
You have no escape via crashfree, if the boot block is erased.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...74&postcount=5

Ah, now this is interesting...

http://www.ami.com/support/doc/AMIBI...epaper_v10.pdf

so it isn't purely an Asus engineer - the AMI guy had a hand in
it too :-)

That doc says to press ctrl and home down on the keyboard,
then switch on the power. Try that instead of alt f2. I've
also seen holding down insert mentioned, but maybe that was just
to enter the BIOS.

Paul