Old September 12th 03, 04:27 AM
Mitchua

Default Games freezing = power/temp troubles?

About a month ago I started have my 3D games (Wolfenstein Enemy Territory)
start freezing up on me. Since then I've changed a bunch of hardware and it
still happens! I've pretty much ruled out software problems since I've
changed drivers, reinstalled games, everything! What's going on?

I have an AMD XP 1800+ (stock 1.533GHz) in a Asus A7V266-E mobo with 512MB
of RAM. Here's the 3 system configurations I continued to have the problem
with.

1) Radeon 7000, Vantec Aeroflow heatsink/fan, 1 case fan. Cpu temp
~49Celcius. This was the initial setup that worked no problem. Then the
freezing started. The game would freeze, then crash, and I'd be booted out
to WinXP. The screen would now be brighter than before until I rebooted.

2) Radeon 7000, Arctic-Cooling heatsink/fan, 2 case fans, Cpu temp ~50
Celcius. Still freezing then crashing.

3) Radeon 9600 Pro, Arctic-Cooling, 2 case fans, Cpu temp ~50 Celcius.
Freezes and stays frozen. Have to reset the system. I tried disconnecting
the case fans and it ran the game ok for 1 hour. After reloading it, the
crashing started again.

As you can see, things are just getting worse and worse. My cpu isn't
overclocked or anything. Could the problem be my power supply? I have a
350W generic. According the Asus probe it's putting out 12.767 V and my
Vcore is 1.84: both values are off spec. I know have 1 seagate 120GB HD, 1
DVDROM, 1 CDRW, 2 mini fans, 2 80mm fans, and the giant 80mm fan on the
heatsink. Is all that drawing too much power?

Thanks,
Mitchua