Old April 24th 08, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Default Nvidia 9600GT Font Rendering Looks Terrible

Don wrote:

I just upgraded the video card on my PC from an ATI X1600 series to a
Nvidia 9600GT series card. First I uninstalled the ATI Control Center
and drivers as to their instructions. I then shut down the machine and
changed cards. And then I installed the Nvidia drivers. Everything
works fine except one thing. When I crank up the resolution on my
Viewsonic 23 inch flat panel to 1290*1200 the font rendering looks
terrible. Characters and words are almost impossible to read. When I
turn the resolution back to 1600*1200 like it is now, things look a lot
better. Is there anything I can do to restore the higher resolution? In
some ways this video card is more compatible with my monitor than the
ATI. For one thing, the DVI-D mode works just fine.

Thanks

1) Typefaces on LCDs look best in the panels native resolution.

2) Fonts and can managed effectively on LCD panels with size changes and
enabling cleartype.

Pick the panel's native resolution, stick to it, then adjust the size of
the type and then all processing effects such as clear type.