Old July 3rd 05, 11:43 PM
Tim

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message

I don't see what this obsession with making use of the "full 64-bits" is
all about. Do people complain they are not utilizing the full features of
a 100-storey building, if they are done below the 100th storey?

Obsession? It's a simple question about transition time.

When the 32-bit x86 era started, a lot of its biggest advantages had
nothing to do with 32-bit software, they were features to improve the life
of older 16-bit apps. For example they introduced the Virtual-8086 mode,
which basically allowed you to multitask 16-bit DOS apps using a 32-bit
hypervisor layer sitting over top of it. Similarly that's the most likely
initial usage scenario that we'll see with 64-bit OSes -- as a better
32-bit platform. For example, 32-bit programs which are limited to 2GB to
3GB of memory right now (due to the memory footprint of the configured
OS), will now see the full 4GB to themselves. And multiple 32-bit programs
will see a full 4GB to themselves.

Again, I don't need convincing. I already acknowledged that this new
technology has advantages now.