Old April 24th 04, 09:56 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

New HSF... depends on what you ahve, and what you intend to do with the
system.

I have used a couple of different kinds of schmootz (gunk, grease, paste..
its all the same) and I have not found a real difference between any of
them. Beit the $12 Arctic Silver 3 I have, or the crap that comes with a new
CPU (not the tape on the bottom of the HSF.. take that crapola off), or a
tube of "thermal transfer compond" i got from radio shack in a pinch.

It all works as long as you apply it well. And by that i mean take your time
and dont be sloppy. a VERY thin layer is all thats needed. I have found that
an old credit card, or bank card, or one of those fake cards they send out
with junkmail works great. Bear in mind, that just because a HSF comes with
a generous amount of the junk, you are not supposed to try to use it all in
one application. One of those little packets, or tubes should last you quite
a while.

There are lots of great pic's and tutorials on the subject. That was where i
learned about how to do it a long time ago.

Cheers,

NuTs

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Thanks Nutcracker..

What type of 'smootz' is best .. as I remember, the AMD had a 'tape' ..
assuming the guys who reinstalled my m/board just moved it in one piece,

it
still has.

I let the guys in the shop put the replacement m/board together so that

the
old m/board went back for warranty!

Is it worth considering a new cooler assembly for the CPU?

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
you need to reseat the HSF...

remove the heatsinkfan, and remove any schmootz thats already there. Clean
it well.
Re-apply a very thin layer of schmootz, and make sure that he HSF is
securely mounted.

Your temps should be in the high 30's, low 40's. 69 isnt dangerous, but it
is much higher than normal.

NuTs

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat

sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board

and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with

EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was

flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as

63C.
The ambient was 22C.

Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I

certainly
don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

TIA-

Mo