Old December 28th 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JakeC

Default Core 2 and IDE HD

DaveW wrote:
You will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard to a current Core 2
Duo compatilbe design. (You did not say which motherboard you have.)
WHENEVER you change the motherboard that a harddrive with the OS on it has
been using, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of
the OS. Otherwise you can look forward to ongoing Registry errors and data
corruption.

Currently, I have a P4P800SE. I understand that I have to change the
motherboard because my current one will not fit Core 2. Last time I
changed motherboard, I changed it from a Gigabyte 8SQ800 to the current
one. I changed that because the Gigabyte board had one connector burnt
out (part of it melt away). From the Gigabyte to Asus board - that was
the only thing changed - I simply plugged everything to the board and
did not have to re-install the OS (Windows XP Pro). I'm hoping that it
would simply be plug-and-play again when I upgrade to a Core 2 ;-)

Anyhow, I guess I just have to find a board that has two IDE connector
then and stay away from Intel chipset ;-)

I appreciated your reply!