Old September 18th 04, 07:11 AM
Raj

I saay wait for the 6600's release and all prices will drop for vid card and
pick up a 6800 for abt 250 at that time!
"Opticreep" wrote in message
om...
I'm currently planning on upgrading my video card to go with a gaming
rig based on a Athlon64 3200+ system.

Basically, budget is not an issue. However, I *would* like to get the
most bang out of my buck. I'm not willing to spend an extra 40% in
cost if it'll only yield a 10% performance increase. And I'm not
willing to buy a fancy new card that'll depreciate all the way down to
60% of its original value within six months or something. I'm not
really looking to buy the biggest and baddest card available; I just
want an ideal graphics card to straddle the delicate balance between
cost, performance, and longevity. I *did* own a Geforce4 Ti4200 for a
long time, after all.

So... which is it? Right now, I'm looking at maybe going for a Radeon
9800 Pro for $197 at Newegg. I'm not even sure if I ought to get the
128MB or the 256MB version. I was going to get the 128MB version...
but then on Doom 3, a 128MB video card yields a "suggested" setup of
only medium (!) setting, instead of high for 256MB cards. If this is
a sign of things to come for all the newest games to be released in
the next year, then maybe the 128MB cards are becoming obsolete
already.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.