Old November 17th 03, 10:31 AM
Daniel Crichton

Stoneskin wrote:

Are you sure it's because of macrovision? I'm not an expert but from
what I have seen a macrovision 'currupted' screen will be more like an
image which changes the contrast and color balances of the image.
Plus the sound will keep dropping out.

As I said, I'm not an expert, but it sounds more to me like those 5x
drivers were more to blame. Changing drivers shouldn't affect any
macrovision protection.

Not quite true. Some/most/all (not sure which) of the drivers after 41.09
will disable playback of DVDs if the TV out chipset is a particular version
as it was shipped with Macrovision signal generation, thereby allowing DVDs
to be played without Macrovision protection and recorded. The studios/DVD
forum/someone put pressure on nVidia to "correct" this by disabling playback
of DVDs on affected chipsets. If you have a TV out chipset that is not in
the banned list, it works fine (like my Leadtek A250 LE with the 42.70
drivers happily still plays DVDs). This is really a stupid thing for nVidia
to have done - it seems a large number of cards are affected by this. And if
someone wants to record a DVD to video Macrovision is the least of their
worries - for very little cost you can get a cable with a Macrovision
stripping circuit and remove the signal anyway.

Dan