Old August 12th 06, 12:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

Default Nvidia GeForce 7600GS finally out for AGP

On 7 Aug 2006 21:09:44 -0700, "pc games"
wrote:

Nvidia GeForce 7600GS finally out for AGP

Here is the link for the EVGA version:
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...2-AX&family=22

This is the definitive upgrade for AGP users like myself.
I clearly remember when a year ago I talked about a 7600
for AGP and most in this group didn't believe me like
many other ideas I defend and now we see it has become a
reality. Again this proves I'm in most instants right.

Yes, a bit like Al Gore claiming to have invented the Internet.

nVidia does not even know you ( not surprising, with your many
aliases). However, they do have an extremely competent Marketing group
and the decision to continue supporting AGP (for the moment) is based
on sound Market research. Solely a matter of profit -- you have zero
influence. In that vein, the chances for any DX10 cards on AGP are
miniscule, plus the longer M$$ delays Vista, the deader the prospects.
AGP is dead except for video upgrades on existing PCs -- which
activity is like sewing an expensive new patch into thread-bare cloth,
considering the performance/price benefits of a new PC, especially
with the recent huge CPU price-cuts.

Remember also that DX10 is not REQUIRED for Vista itself, DX9.0 is
perfectly satisfactory. Apart from Asrock, all the motherboard
manufacturers have switched entirely to PCIe anyway.

BTW, there will be no Win98 drivers from nVidia for the 7600GS. In
fact, the last Win98/WinME video driver is 81.98 (December 2005),
---- just look at the list of supported products, the latest being the
GF6 series. No GF7 on the list.

I play my DOS and early Win games on my 2000-vintage
3dfx/SBLive!-equipped machine, which incidentally I still use for my
newsreading/posting (like right now), casual browsing, word-processing
and email. I have not updated the drivers in years. Just buy a new
computer and a KVM+audio switch and you won't have to fuss over Win98
driver support any more.

John Lewis