Old April 7th 20, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Last on Earth

Norm Why wrote:
PC would not boot or show BIOS on either screen. I guess I should plug in
the Beep speaker.

Maybe ultimate upgrade path would be to plug in Continuous long beeps:
Graphics card not inserted properly(total 8GB) and then upgrade to 12GB.

Comments?

'Continuous short beeps:' Power error. ****, not again?

Comments?

Now with removal of 2 x 2GB RAM sticks:

Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly.

Something we can work on. But why?

Comments?

Doesn't that motherboard have four slots ?

Four slots times 2GB is 8GB. What's wrong with that ?
That's a good number, and probably matched stuff too.

It could be that your 4GB DIMM is actually damaged, and
is shorting out a pin on the bus and damaging the Northbridge
memory interface.

You have to be careful, as a home builder, of "domino faults".
That's where a component you own, starts sabotaging hardware,
and it usually takes "two ruined things" before you figure it out.

Switch down to one 2GB stick. Try on Channel 0. Try on Channel 1.
Once a working channel is identified, add a DIMM to the *same* channel.
Since DIMM pairs are the same color, the single channel config
would be two slots of different colors. Consult the manual for
details.

If two DIMMs on the working channel are OK, then you can try a third
stick. Preferably one you know works (2GB), or was working up until today.
If that's failing, it could be the channel which is damaged.

I think an Intel chipset like that, support Flex Memory, so
the population pattern should not matter from a "beep perspective".
Make sure all the DIMMs are UDIMMs - this is reinforced by where the
keying slot is cut, so it would be difficult to do it wrong.
Although one poster told me once, he "cut a slot with a hacksaw
so the DIMM would fit" :-/ Gah!

Old fashioned CMOS, like 4000 series, current limited on a fault.
This was a transistor property, rather than spiffing design. It
made all sorts of things possible.

Modern bus drivers aren't likely to behave that way, which means
if shorted, they'll likely get damaged. Bus termination power
sources or bus pad power sources, are probably good for several
amps, which is plenty to burn a pad with a short on the output.

Just a guess. As otherwise, the symptoms don't make much sense.

And you are remembering to remove *all* power when changing
DIMMs, right ? Right ? ... That means switch off at the back,
and/or unplug it, then wait 30 seconds for +5VSB to drain,
*then* add or remove DIMMs.

Paul