Old October 8th 05, 10:41 PM
DevilsPGD

In message Shepİ
wrote:

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:37:56 -0600 If God exists he'll get DevilsPGD
writing this :

I just purchased a new motherboard, CPU, and video card, built the
system, ran memtest86 and I'm getting memory errors.

If this is a new system and you have bought good equipment why did you
run a software,"Memory" tester?

Why wouldn't I? I would seriously question the competency of any system
builder who doesn't perform burn-in testing on assembled hardware before
shipping it. I don't test my own systems as thoroughly as a system I'm
planning on selling since I'll tend to notice any weirdness once I'm up
and running, but I do test some of the basics.

Also, not all of the system was new, as I indicated in my original post,
I scavenged the RAM, hard drives, and a sound card from my old system
(as well as some USB peripherals), but all of the hardware was
known-good since most of it has been operating nonstop for 18 months.

Have you built many systems?

More then I can count.

Have you bought the correct type of devices for your system/mother
board?

Yes indeed.

Have you researched any known incompatibilities for the mother board?

Yes.

Have you correctly set the BIOS parameters for the devices you are
using?

I left most things at defaults, unless specifically instructed.

Have you correctly positioned your PCI devices for the motherboard.

Indeed. Only two PCI slots, and only one PCI card, and the only advice
in the documentation anywhere was to place the sound card as far away
from the video card, CPU, etc, as possible to avoid possible distortion.
I followed that advice.

The above is just a starter.

Indeed.

--