Old October 7th 06, 01:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
XS11E

Default loud fan trouble with HP D330 Tower desktop computer

Tim923 wrote in
:

Often the fan gets loud and annoying. Most of the time it is OK, but
it is very annoying when it happens. I don't see any way to remove
dust from the fan. The fan part appears covered completely in black
plastic. Has anyone had luck cleaning the fan on the D330 Tower or a
similar model?

Is this fan on the front or rear of the case? You should be able to
remove it either way, the plastic cover that holds the fan should
unsnap from the case, if it's on the front of the case you might have
to remove the front panel, if on the rear there may be some screws
holding it.

If you can't remove it, try this:

First, turn off the power and unplug the cord from the powersupply.
Yeah, I know you already knew to do this but I have to say it anyway.

Next, remove the side cover from the computer and carefully clean out
all the accumulated dust. You can use a vacuum cleaner and a brush,
hold the vacuum's nozzle near the computer and carefully brush areas
inside the case where dust accumulates, stay away from components but
get all the areas you can w/o actually disturbing the motherboard,
cards, wiring, etc. this will keep dust from being sucked back into the
fan after you clean it.

To clean the fan after you've removed all the dust you can from inside
the case, just hold the nozzle of the vacuum up against the slots where
the air blows out, you'll get most of it. Then do the same for the
areas where the air intake slots are.

Hope this helps.