Old February 26th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Looking for a motherboard

Darren Garrison wrote:

I do some video and photo editing. And what is even more CPU intensive, I do
some CG work on a hobby level, mostly using Maya. The reviews I've seen show
that going to dual core does give something approaching a doubling of
performance in render times. So I do have a practical reason for wanting to go
in that direction (as opposed to probably the majority of current "mainstream"
applications, which probably won't benifit too much from going dual-core). I
had the computer render a test image last night that took around 8 hours to
render on that 1Ghz Duron I had to downgrade to-- so even if I could afford an
FX-60 I'd probably looking at something on the order of 1 hour per frame, maybe
more.

Even though you're doing CG as a hobby, you need all the horsepower you
can get. If ever there was a candidate for an overclocked Opteron
Denmark with 4gb of memory, you're the one.