Old February 25th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Looking for a motherboard

I built a new system 3 years ago and have been mostly content with my speed, so
haven't been looking for an upgrade. But recently my Athlon XP CPU died, and I
had to go to 4 local computer shops before I could find a replacement chip to
fit my existing socket 462 motherboard, and then had to settle for a much slower
Duron.

So now I'm forced to start looking for replacement hardware, but without a large
hardware budget. My current old motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. I need
to reuse my current AGP video card, and my current PC2700 memory (so no SLi or
PCI express and no DDR2). I'm looking for a socket 939 mobo, I need on-board
sound, and at least one Firewire port (which I would have thought all boards
would have by now, but many don't have that listed). I need some hints as to
which current lower-priced motherboards will fit my current needs. I haven't
decided yet if I'll go the cheap route and put an Athlon 64 3000 or the more
expensive route and put an Athlon 64 x2 3800 (but either way it won't be one of
those new kilobuck FX-60s).