Old December 24th 05, 02:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Yet another nVidia display driver that does not work.

"@sh" wrote in message
The driver works fine...its your PC that doesn't!!!

Try booting into safe mode, remove all current NVidia drivers, reboot back
into normal mode and try reinstalling them again.

Cheers, Ash

I have a Leadtek 7800GT card and Leadtek only recommend the 77.77 driver. It
is OK but as I have an Intel Dual core CPU I am puzzled that they dont
recommend the latest nVidia driver
Eric Booth

"deimos" wrote in message
default wrote:
Every 8x.xx driver has behaved the same including the new 81.98. During
install, the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the top left
and the computer hangs. If I install the driver from safe mode, then
the driver installs ok, but on rebooting back to normal mode, the
computer hangs with a black screen.

Drivers up to and including 78.05 work just great.

For those who are interested, this is the relevant setup.

Windows XP Professional.
Tyan S2466N-4M mainboard.
AMD 762 northbridge, AMD 768 southbridge
Dual Athlon-MP 2600+ CPUs
2GB ECC registered RAM
BFG GF6800GT-OC 256MB AGP video card.

The 81.98 driver will load with a GF4 4200ti card but not with the
6800GT.

Will they ever fix it so I can get the "improved dual CPU and dual core
performance"?

This is probably one of two things, either it's not detecting your
monitor properly (i.e. the new "Direct Access" functionality), or your
refresh rate isn't being set properly.

First, make sure your monitor .inf file is installed. This provides the
OS with timing and refresh rate information. Do a clean uninstall of the
driver with a utility like Driver Cleaner and start over. If it still
does it, this might have something to do with the driver services loaded
at start. There's an entry for "nwiz" and "nvsvc32" on startup, so try
disabling those.

While your at it, also check the management console (right click My
Computer Manage) under Event Viewer and Application or System and see
if there's any specific events for the NVIDIA driver failing to start or
a display related error.