Old November 7th 05, 06:29 PM
Scotter

Default XFX 6800 replaces sapphire 9800 pro 128

I agree with Dan.
Here is a comprehensive comparison of those two generations of cards at
Tom's Hardwa
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...705/index.html
Note: at bottom of page is "next" to take you on to other parts, including
benchmarks.
So you will see the vanilla 6800 is not that much better than your 9800
Pro... IMHO if you are going to upgrade in just 2 or 3 months, I would wait
.... or find a way to do that upgrade a bit sooner.

And just in case you are still thinking about *what* you will upgrade to:

Check out ARS' System Guide:
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/...ide-200508.ars

I'm currently running an AMD Opteron 250, 2.4ghz (like FX-53), 2 gig Corsair
XMS ECC RAM, 550W PS, and a BFG 6800 GT OC (AGP).

I'm planning on upgrading very soon to something like:

For processor: Either dual Opteron 252's or 254's or a dual core AMD 64 -
the reason I would go dual Opterons instead of a dual core is your dual core
CPUs lag in MHz behind what is offered in Opterons right now. And it would
be nice to use my same ECC RAM, even though it is *slightly* slower than
non-ECC RAM. AND, if I go the dual processor route, I can get a motherboard
that will support my current CPU so I can upgrade in stages, first stage
being to just get the new motherboard and video card. The motherboard, btw,
I'm thinking of is Tyan's Thunder K8WE, which has gotten some rave reviews.
I'll be adding 2 more gig of RAM to this board so it can have 2 gig
dedicated per processor. Mmmmmmmm!

For video card: Waiting on the 512MB version of the 7800GTX. Will probably
go with BFG brand again if I can, since I was quite happy with it. BUT I'm
reading some good things about ATi's new 512MB 1800XT card (mainly how it
handles AA vs. nVidia's card) so we'll see what the next few weeks brings in
reviews and products.

--
Scotter

"Lew/+Silat" wrote in message
. ..
Is it worth it to do this upgrade? Im not ready to jump to next puter with
pci E.

Lew/+Silat

p4 northwood 2.8 800fsb
1 gig ram