Old July 26th 05, 01:00 AM
Phil Weldon

| It would seem to me the moire effect would be
| visible on either a LCD or a CRT?
_____

Or a function of how a color NTSC signal is decoded into R,G,B because of
interference between the color subcarrier and luminance information. But
surely the original poster is not viewing NTSC (composite) output on a color
television!

Phil Weldon

"Doug" wrote in message
. ..
Magnulus, what is "inherent moire"? It would seem to me the moire effect
would be visible on either a LCD or a CRT?

--
there is no .sig
"Magnulus" wrote in message
. ..
Another possibility is that this stuff is not visible at all on a
regular monitor- perhaps they are just too blurry. An LCD monitor has a
fixed aspect ratio, has no inherent moire, and so on. Perhaps this stuff
has been there all along and nobody has really payed attention to it.
It's definitely a subtle effect and if you are busy fragging you probably
won't notice it.

It's interesting that ATI and NVidia are both pushing SLI/Crossfire
cards for their many image quality improvements. One of the improvements
is "texture quality", they often cite. Ie, reducing crawling textures.
Well, it would make more sense to me, rather than using a supersample
anti-aliasing mode and 2 video cards, to just "get it right", nip it in
the bud at the texture mapping and filtering stages rather than when the
scene is being rendered.