Old July 24th 05, 10:00 AM
Einstine

"Magnulus" wrote in message . ..
I've been noticing lately that in games there's alot of moire on textures, specificly around the areas that mipmaps would be for
bilinear filtering, when using trilinear filtering + anisotropic filtering with GeForce 6600 cards (and also GeForce 6800). Even
when I set the image quality to "high quality" and disable all optimizations.

I did a search and apparrently alot of other folks on forums are having issues too, but curiously enough, none of the major
review sites seem to be paying any attention to this IQ (image quality) issue. Some ordinary forumers are speculating perhaps
there is junk left over from the GeForce FX days. In the last year or two, both ATI and NVidia have become increasingly
aggressive with the use of optimizations in an attempt to one-up their competitor. I can't help but wonder how much of the
"performance" of these newer cards is simply due to cheating and shortcuts. Others think maybe Nvidia is not using true
anisotropic filtering at all anymore, but some other method, to perhaps gain speed- however, obviously there are IQ issues they
are ignoring.

Now, some folks and ATI/NVidia claim these optimizations have little or no IQ affects. Well, you'ld have to be blind to not spot
the moire in many games when using anisotropic filtering. You can clearly see it on repetitive patterns such as grating, floor
tiles, roads, and those sort of textures that have alot of repetitive, fine detail. Look at levels in UT 2004 like asbestos or
Oceanic, you can clearly seet it on the floors. I can also spot it in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and several other games (I
don't have may games installed on my PC currently, so it's a small sample).

I don't notice much as far as details except that I have been put off on buying
Battlefield 2 because it seems my eyes can never focus. I cannot explain it
much better than that. There is a lot of great stuff going on and buildings
to hide behind but it seems it is all a blur.

ATI 9800 Pro. 20/20 Vision.