Old August 17th 04, 02:31 PM
GTX_SlotCar

more than playable but the choppyness i get at times takes away from it a
bit

[On the no, don't bother with a new card side]
You could turn the quality setting to medium and turn off shadows. Since my
9800Pro is RMA'd to ATI, I was borrowing my kids' Ti4400 to play Doom3 (just
got my 6800GT yesterday). After some final tweaks, I could run Doom3 (with
shadows off & medium quality) at 60 fps at 800x 600 or 66 fps at 640x480
2xAA (which looked better). It ran smooth all the time and looked good.
Occasional choppiness in multi-player will kill you. When I went from the
61.77 drivers to the 62.20's, it cleared up most of the banding I was
getting on human skin textures and gave me a couple more fps. When I went to
the 65.62's, all the banding was gone and I got yet another couple fps.
I like to keep my Average fps up around 70 (because of multi-player), so I
even run my 6800GT at medium quality.

[On the yes, get a new card now side]
Far Cry is a different story. The 6800GT would probably make the game a lot
more enjoyable.
As for the new stuff coming out, that's endless. It's always happening.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com