Old November 19th 03, 06:40 AM
Kieran

Default my Ti4200/64MB just got an upgrade (weird)

Okay weird things going on here w/ my PC.

I'll try to make a long story short. I got a new mobo... gigabyte
ga-7n400 pro. I installed it, but XP wouldn't load (wrong drivers,
etc.)... so I had to take the new mobo out and put back in my old one
in order to boot my old system so I could back up some stuff. Did
that. put the new mobo back in. Clean install of XP. Now the fun
begins.

When the system posts... the video card bios shows that my card is a
GeForce4 NV28, with 128MB of RAM. Thing is, my video card is a GF4
Ti4200, with 64MB of RAM. But the system boots up okay anyway (sort
of).

Windows XP comes up, and all seems fine. Except that when I try to
access the internet (dsl connection is golden) there's no activity on
the dsl modem for about 2 minutes... IE just sits there trying to load
msn.com... THEN the hdd spins around a bunch, and viola! I have net
data traffic again.

Similarly, if I try to access my system properties (either by
right-clicking on my computer or by double clicking on 'system' in
control panel) NOTHING happens... no windows pop up or anything, for
about 2 minutes... THEN the hdd spins a bunch and the windows I asked
for 2 mins ago pop up, and all is normal.

From then on the net and everything seems normal. But WTF? This
happens ever time I boot.

Oh, and if I do properties on my video card, it does show up in XP as
a gf4 Ti4200... but still with 128MB of RAM, not the 64 it really has.

I don't mind a free upgrade of video RAM, but... !!!!
Thanks for any help... I'm going nuts right now.

Oh, and I'm not doing any overclocking right now of any kind.