Old September 22nd 03, 06:09 PM
Dark Avenger

Tim wrote in message ...
Nvidia can't run the standard Dx9 path..Microsoft made the requirement at least
24bit, which is ATI hardware. So basically Nvidia basically ends up running at
32bit, it support 16 and 12..The peroformance of the shader is very slow at 32bit.
So they basically make everything run the 16bit path, which isn't really dx9 but
it's almost there. Dark Avenger wrote:

Nvidia CHOSE to ignore the standard, they instead wrote their own and now
complain that companies like valve wont redo it for their "special" method
so they don't score as well. The idea behind a standard is that EVERYONE
(end user, Card makers and Game Makers) can rely on it which isnt the case
here. Its great if Nv's implementation works as well or better but when your
going to sell a card and tout its DX9 conformity/ability its a tad dishonest
if it really only does it well if programs do NOT use the standard. Heck I
think every card out there would run games better if each company makeing a
game made custom running instructs based on each card out there but that
isnt what standards are supposed to require as I understood things. Using a
"wrapper" to make a card thats supposed to be dx9 part out of box run DX9
features just seems wacked to me.

Just my 2 cents
Just Jess

My point to, game makers should just be able to write RAW DX9 code and
ofcourse DX8 code for the older cards. And NviDia should JUST follow
that DX9 standard so that games can run normally.

Now they FORCE game makers to invest time and money in Nvidia's
Standard....because the performance in STANDARD DX9 is
hell...sluggish...

Well this time atleast a reasonable anwser. Yes indeed, nvidia CAN run
DX9...but then the performance is rather slughish and that is where
game programmers fall over. Why should game programmers have to
program ways around problems just because the card makers make a low
performance card at a high price.

Hell, with nv40 ....we probably see 2x8 shaders...now..at that
moment...performance will not be a problem anymore.

The FX serie though.....well....lets say don't expect any fireworks of
them under DX9.