Old September 16th 04, 10:48 AM
Stambo

Ryan J. Paque wrote:

nifsmith wrote:

Hi

My friends PC is based on a GA-7DXR mobo. He is running Win 98. Today
his PC fired up on its own and he wasn't in the room (he keeps the
power on at the case and the wall all the time). Now the PC wo't shut
down. It gets to the Win 98 is shutting down screen and sits. The
fans are still on to the CPU and in the power supply and the CD Drive
light is constantly on. When you switch off at the case then back on
the PC boots up no probs. If at the Win 98 shutdown screen you press
and hold the power switch to kil the power the PC boots up then shuts
down but not all the way. The POST screen displays then stops dead,
however the power to the cpu and PSU fans are still on, as is the CD
drive.

I have changed the CMOS battery as I have heard this can cause freaky
power problems, but its still there. Before I start swapping out the
mobo and power supply does anyone have any ideas or experience with
this type of problem.

Have you checked the power mangement setttings in the BIOS? If you
changed the CMOS batter recently, you may not have put everything back
properly in the settings.

Ryan

have you tried the win98 shutdown supplement, used to be available @
microsoft website.