Old May 25th 18, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Asus P9X79 four short beeps

On 5/5/2018 7:29 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/5/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:23 AM, Paul wrote:

LGA2066 4 channel

X299Â* LGA2066 V1Â* via DMI V3Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Lane
Â*Â*Â*Â* 2066 Core i9 i9-7900X(U0)Â* Skylake-XÂ*Â* 3.3GHz 13.75MB 140WÂ*Â*Â* 44
******* RAMCH PCIEÂ* AVX512
i9-7900X (13.75M cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.30 GHz)Â* $ 989 4Â*Â*Â*Â* 44

I'm curious what you think of the "high-end" build on this page.
https://www.custompcreview.com/compu...ing-pc-builds/

It uses the Asus MBO I like and the i97900X you show above is "only"
$899.99 at Newegg.Â* The killer for me is the price of the RAM.Â* If I
go this route I'll probably start with a quarter, possibly half the
RAM recommended.Â* But I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the MBO
and CPU they recommend, some of the RAM, and whatever else I need
from the rest.

This would be expensive.Â* And what makes it worse is that my current
system is behaving itself most of the time today.Â* Don't know how
long that will last, though.

Thoughts?

CPUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Intel Core i9-7900XÂ*Â* ~$989Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 4 channel
CPU, use 4 DIMMs minimum
MotherboardÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe LGA 2066Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* as you'd
expect, $$$
MemoryÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 64GB Kingston HyperX FURY 2133MHz (4x16GB) KitÂ* ===
could replace with 4x4GB DIMMs
GPUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* PNY Nvidia Quadro P6000 24GBÂ*Â* ~$4500.00 !!!Â*Â*Â* ===
certified OpenGL support $$$
CaseÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Corsair Obsidian 750D
Boot DriveÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSDÂ* === probably the last 850
Pro (MLC) still in stock, 256/512 gone
Storage DriveÂ*Â*Â*Â* Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Optical DriveÂ*Â*Â*Â* ASUS Blu-Ray Writer
PSUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
CPU CoolerÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Corsair H100i v2
Operating SystemÂ* Windows 10 Home 64-Bit === Cheapskates! This should
use Pro.

That video card choice totally swamps out any notion of "cost savings".

I generally try to track down what the "desktop" equivalent of
the card is. In this case, it would be a Titan X (~$1200 original price).
The difference is, the "certified OpenGL support" is for CAD software,
and the
card ends up with "business" pricing to go along with the
"professional" creds of the card. The Titan X also has half
the VRAM, but really "12GB is the same as 24GB" for all except
the most extreme applications. SimCity doesn't need 12GB.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-q...ng-benchmarks/

If you were Bill Gates, that would be a great system.

So when I click the button, it goes to Amazon, and is "sans video
card" ???
If so, you'd probably want to do a few edits in the parts list.

The motherboard is $500 class.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813132990R

You could go crazy with the RAM in terms of speed... but read the
reviews.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600Â* $257

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231980

Â*Â* Pros: Looks nice.

Â*Â* Cons: Did not hold stock clocks or timings.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* When it would hold them, it required such High VSA and VCCIO
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* that the CPU was under threat.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would only load past the windows logo once every 10+ boots
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* during these moments of testing.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Spreaders conflict with larger, say 135mm, CPU heatsink fans.

Your build is using a water cooler for the CPU, so it doesn't
matter how tall the heat spreaders are. The hose barbs and
tubing have to be routed so they don't conflict with
RAM or something.

These other ones, the five reviews seem to be better for some
reason, perhaps because they were testing with a different
CPU type ? It's hard to find ordinary DIMMs that actually
claim to be tested with X299 (for whatever that is worth -
the machine should really work with any DDR4 you select).
The reason for selecting this, is the hope the XMP profile
works to save on the need for "tuning".

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231907
$238.99

This is easily a $2000 build, just quickly doing a few sums
in my head. And say, reusing your video card. A $500 motherboard,
a $1000 CPU, $250 for RAM, a bit more other junk, and so on.
The CPU liquid cooler probably costs a few bucks. But
is going to be more friendly than putting a huge Noctua
air cooler in there. I had to seat the DIMMs on my system,
using a "pusher stick" made of wood, to snap the DIMMs into place.
A water cooler leaves a lot more room (although it doesn't give
any blowdown cooling or anything, for motherboard components).
You might want to check the temps on the VCore regulator
during your build/test. When Prime95 is running (non-AVX version).

Â*Â*Â* Paul

Heh, I didn't price the GPU because I planned to use the one I have. And
yes, I figured about $2K, which I can swing, but which I don't want to
do if I don't have to.Â* I hadn't even looked at the price of the GPU.
Holy moly.

I've spent the bulk of today working on (OK, playing around with) my
P9X79 computer.Â* I have a dual boot system and I wanted to upgrade my
secondary OS with the latest version of Win10, a clean install.

A digression: I downloaded the new (this week) Win10 ISO and installed
it clean in a small partition I use for my secondary OS.Â* Pretty soon it
was telling me it needed some "updates."Â* Well, where the initial
installation took about 20 minutes, the "updates" took over an hour, but
now I have an installation of Win10 version 1803, OS Build 17134.1.Â* And
now that I look, I see my main OS installation is Version 1709, Build
16299.371.Â* And I thought I'd successfully updated it to the Spring 2018
version earlier this week.Â* Sometimes Windows puzzles me.

My main point, though, is that throughout today I've heard the four-beep
error message only once, and that was when I'd disconnected my main boot
drive (an SSD that holds the OS and all applications) in order to
prevent Win10 from spotting it while installing my secondary OS on
another drive.Â* (I hate dealing the with boot manager, and this way it
never gets triggered.)Â* But all I had to do was power down and then
power up again and I heard the Post beep and I was in business for the
rest of the day.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, a simple reboot never triggers the
error beeps.Â* The system has to shut down -- fans off -- before a reboot
triggers the error.Â* And the other day that was happening regularly.
Every time I'd exit BIOS the system would completely power down, pause a
few seconds, and then power up again, triggering the error.Â* Today that
hasn't happened once, I transition smoothly from BIOS into OS boot and
I've been in and out of BIOS a number of times.

So...I'm not going to buy a new system as long as this one keeps
behaving.Â* But if things go south again anytime soon, I really believe
I'll get the board and the processor mentioned above, and some of the
RAM, and as for that $4500 GPU...ha ha.

Thanks for following up.Â* I'm going to take a deep breath now and wait
to see if my problems recur anytime soon. I'm hoping I just might be
able to escape this with few injuries to my wallet.

Well, ****onit. As time passed I became adept at working around the
problem. Restarts are never a problem -- I can restart over and over
all day long and everything's perfect. But let me shut down -- fans off
-- and getting things going again becomes a hit-or-miss proposition,
with lots of misses before a hit. Press power button -- hear the error
-- power off -- wait -- try again -- no luck -- wait -- try -- wait --
try -- wait...hey, that's the post beep. And then everything's fine
until the next power down.

When all this started, I could always power on successfully first thing
in the morning, but that's no longer the case. Now I expect an error
every time I power up.

I bought a new power supply just in case that was the problem. I
figured if a new PS could solve the problem my wallet would get off
easy. But today I've installed my new Corsair RM750x and on first boot
it was easy sailing, but after a shutdown and power on, I got the error
beeps again. So for a semi-reasonable sum I've ruled out the power
supply. Next up, I guess -- MBO, CPU, memory, M2 card. Good news
about the cooling system: apparently my current Kraken X61 will fit a
socket 2066.

I don't know what else to do. Memtest never finds an error and Windows
and Aida report my 32 gigabytes of DDR3 are behaving normally. I think
there's got to be a MBO problem, but if you have another idea I'd like
to hear it. Otherwise I'm about to do some expensive shopping. At
least I'll be starting with a nice new power supply.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog