Old September 14th 04, 11:01 AM
John

"Chingy" wrote in message
WOrse come to worse maybe you need to reinstall everything including OS...

"John" wrote in message
MSI G4Ti4200-TD
ASUS A7V266-E
Audiophile 2496

This card has been fine under 98 and win 2000. On a clean install of XP
the
PC freezes up each time I install *any of the XP drivers. I've tried the
lastest ones down to the oldest in the Nvidia archive. The pc runs but

if
try to open the nvidia options (to adjust hardware acceleration say) it
freezes. Same if I run explorer or anything else.
Short of starting from scratch what can I do to pin point the problem?

XP
always picks it up on boot.

John

I have narrowed the problem down a bit.
After a clean install the first I did was install the 61.77 drivers. No
problems everything runs fine. I install Doom 3 (and the version of direct x
it offered me) and it locks up straight away when I tried to run it;
straight away not even getting as far as the opening credits. I uninstall
doom but the problem persists - I can't run anything (iexplorer etc) without
the pc freezing. I uninstall the drivers and we are back to square one. Same
problem with FS2004 and like doom that has run fine before on the same
hardware. Updating the direct x version seems to make no difference.