Old July 3rd 05, 02:42 PM
Don Burnette

Default Decision time on graphics card upgrade

I currently have the following system specs that I built a few months ago:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Nforce3 mb socket 939
Athlon 64 bit 3500+
1 gb pc3200 Corsair LL ddr ram running in dual channel
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb agp video card
Creative Audigy2 ZS soundcard

I have the system overclocked, running at 2.55 ghz
I have the Radeon overclocked in 3d, running at 410/372

The system is very stable, and runs fine. However, i feel the Radeon 9800
Pro is holding me back somewhat, and am strongly considering adding
something like the X800XL.

Now, my dilemma. I can go ahead and get an agp version to put in this. The
pci express versions are a little cheaper. I know pcie is where the market
is headed, you see more and more pcie video cards available now than ever,
and fewer agp ones. I would like to get a good video card with 256 mb of
memory.

I am debating, whether to just go ahead and invest in a Nforce4 board to
accomodate a pci-e videocard and get that, or to go ahead and get an agp and
hold off on the motherboard upgrade. Should I upgrade the motherboard, I
would probably go wtih the MSI Nforce4 board. Or, I could wait a few more
months for the dust to settle, and do nothing.

Would appreciate any advice.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."