Old February 4th 04, 02:31 AM
Timothy Drouillard

Unless you have several drives in your system, the 'reccomended' method is
to use the IDE1 connector for normal IDE HD's, and IDE2 for optical drives.

"dale" wrote in message
I'm having an issue with the GigaRAID on the 8KNXP

I'm loosing connectivity with the two HDDs connected as NORMAL ATA drives
connected to the GigaRAID port - both on the one BUS.

When I loose the connection, I can hear what sounds like the HEADS ONLY
'clicking' into their rest-track, and I don't notice any change in the
'spin' sound of the drives, although these are extra quiet Western

Digitals.
I don't normally hear the heads move, even during a defrag, or other heavy
disk usage.

Explore cannot do any functions with the drives, and frequently the screen
will freeze.

Also on re-booting, I frequently get the GigaRAID IDE SCAN to re-recognize
the drives, but sometimes not. Disabling and re-enabling in the BIOS may

or
may not result in any changes. Sometimes unplugging the power helps, but
not always.

The *FINAL* solution that regularly works is pull the CMOS BATTERY and
short the connectors.

It is highly annoying, happening randomly

I thought it may have had something to do with a DRIVE UPDATE from M$,

which
resulted in Event Viewer reporting ITE errors a few days after the update,
but I've re-installed the original driver. Device Manager does not, and
has never noted any warnings.

stumpted geezer

---