Old March 19th 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

Default Widescreen video card for S3010CL

This card should do the trick for $35.

HH

"Ken Wampach" wrote in message
. ..
My wife uses a Compaq S3010CL (Sam's Club model from 2004) for her
business work. She is interested in a 22" widescreen LCD monitor. The
native resolution on these is 1680x1050.

The onboard video is VIA-S3 which does not appear to support 1680x1050.

I would like to know if anyone is aware of a video card that can be
installed in this PC which can support that 1680x1050 resolution.
The available slots are a PCI and an AGP4x 1.5v.

This is a business machine for her newspaper. Gaming is occasional
Solitaire. It does not have a DVD unit, and she has no interest in
watching movies on it. Her application software is 2D. She wants the
larger monitor to make it easy to work on wide spreadsheets, and give her
larger graphic images to work with in her layout software (Corel Draw 9
Suite - Don't laugh, it gets the job done very well)

It appears that a Radeon 9550 would provide the desired resolution, but
would have issues. It is reported to run hot, which also means it uses a
fair amount of power. The supply is only 200 watts. Is there a simple
video card out there which can provide the resolution, but won't cause a
big thermal and power load to provide gaming performance she has no need
for. Before we would upgrade the power supply, fans etc., we would get a
new PC
--
Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg