Old September 30th 04, 12:35 PM
Michael S.

On my P4C800E-D motherboard, I disabled the Promise controller in the BIOS
since it uses more system resources than the Promise and thus used only the
Intel controller for RAID 0 Raptors, two optical drives and a backup hard
drive and everything works great. There are no masters nor slaves in a RAID
situation.

For a fresh XP install using paired SATA RAID 0 drives (although I will not
use RAID 0 in the next yearly re-install)

In the BIOS
--Set OnBoard IDE Operate Mode to ENHANCED MODE
--Set the Enhanced Mode Support On to [SATA] (assuming you are using Serial
drives)
--Set Configure S-ATA as RAID to YES
--Set Serial ATA Bootrom to ENABLED

Download IAA35R.ZIP which is the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition
(or use the one on your installation CD in a folder labeled "IAA" and create
a boot floppy.) When you unzip it, you will notice a file called
"Makedisk.exe". Place blank floppy in drive and doubleclick that file to
create a driver diskette which will contain these four files: iastor.inf,
iastor.sys, iastor.cat and txtsetup.oem

Before loading Windows XP and while in POST, do a Control-I (control-eye)
which will get you into the RAID BIOS and make these changes:
--Create RAID Volume (in Main menu)
--Set Stripe Size (64KB is general use) in the Create Array menu if you are
using RAID 0
--Check the capacity of the drive(s) as being correct
--Highlight CREATE VOLUME and press Enter and press "Y" when a confirmation
message appears and then scroll down to option 4 and press Enter.

When loading XP, very soon after beginning the install, it will ask if there
are additional drivers and if so, hit F6--do so and place the floppy that
you created in the drive. Eventually, the installation process will ask for
SCSI drivers and enter "S" for installation of "Specify Additional Device"
of a SCSI driver. Leave the floppy in the drive since it will be accessed a
couple of times. Instructions on the screen will tell you to insert the
disk labeled Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into Drive A which
you have already done. After pressing Enter, a list of available SCSI
adaptors will be presented and it should list the Intel 82801ER Serial RAID
Controller which should be selected and press Enter. The next screen should
confirm that the Intel RAID controller was selected and press Enter again to
continue and then finish up the install.

Hope this helps, good luck,

MikeSp
------------------------------

During Windows install I loaded in the
"jv" wrote in message
om...
HI guys, I must say I'm pretty new to raid configuration.
I''ve tried to set up raid stripped using the promise controller
and after the installation of XP, it won't boot saying a VTDRL file is
missing.

I moved to Intel Raid then IIA, and it seems fime, but i get lots of
hanging
problem and the intel performance says there are error on one disk
(it's a new
samsung sata 160G).

The question is , I have 2 Raid controller, which one should I use.

And why the using the promise controller the installation of XP goes
fine but then it won't work.

One last dumb question, the Master and Slave setting on the HD
matters?

Thanks
jurij