Old February 18th 14, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
~misfit~[_16_]

Default Resolution issue..

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ed Light wrote:
Hi, Misfit.

Sure hope AMD can help you.

Let us know.

Hi Ed,

You can call me Shaun - I only continue to post under the ~misfit~ nym for
continuity's sake. I abhor nymshifters so much that, even though now I don't
mind using my real name on usenet (and sign my posts accordingly), I still
use the same nym that I made my very first usenet post with, way back in the
early 90s.

The problem is fixed, without recourse to AMD. A good friend in he group
nz.comp pointed me to this site:
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic...63&t=21972here thinking that it
would do what I wanted. However, while it wasn't the cure it *did* point me
in the right direction.

For the sake of my fingers (I'm a rubbish typist) I'll cut'n'paste my reply
to him, saying how I finally managed it, he
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On reading that page more carefully it didn't seem to be quite what I was
after but it was very close. They were setting non-standard desktop
resolutions (and bemoaning the fact that AMD had started restricting what
resolutions they could set) while I wanted a different resolution in-game.

I have already been trying to edit the game ini files, on the advice of
folks on the game forum, with no luck. Also I'm no stranger to editing the
registry (albeit in XP) so I decided that, as it seemed close, I'd try what
those guys were doing.

I backed up the registry first - something that wasn't mentioned in the
forum. Then I proceeded to do as directed. However it made no
difference - either to the desktop resolution *or* the in-game settings
available. However, now I knew where in the registry the resolutions were
stored I decided to exlore a little...

In that walk-through the guy's changing the values in
"DALNonStandardModesBCD1" and he speculates that "DALNonStandardModesBCD2"
might apply to a second monitor, and "DALNonStandardModesBCD3" to a third. I
looked in "DALNonStandardModesBCD2" on my desktop and it was essentially the
same as "DALNonStandardModesBCD1". So I decided to add the resolution that I
wanted in-game to that value and see what happened. I re-booted, started the
game and... No luck.

However, after spending quite a bit of time browsing through
/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0001
(on my machine) I was convinced that the answer must lie in there somewhere,
likely in one of the entries that was of type "REG_BINARY" but I didn't like
the idea of blindly changing stuff.

Then I remembered that, with the exact same driver but the HD 5670 card I
could get 1600x900 in-game and I had exactly that set-up in my second
machine! So I moved over to that side of the room and spent some time
browsing through the relevant registry entries on that machine and that was
the breakthrough. In the second set of stored resolutions in that machine,
"DALNonStandardModesBCD2" of the eight entries there seven of them were
1600x900, just with varying refresh rates.

So I edited *that* registry entry on my main machine to mirror the one in
the machine running the HD 5670, saved, re-booted, started the game and...
YES! 1600x900 (fullscreen) is now selectable in-game.

So, thanks heaps EMB for putting me on the right track. I still don't know
why swapping video cards (to a more powerful one) changes the registry
entries and restricts available in-game resolutions (and changes it back if
the cards are swapped again [?]) but at least now I know how to change it
back manually.
So all sorted Ed. A bit more work than I'd hope for these days (when
everything's supposed to 'just work') but I', happy it's done.

Thanks again for your input.
--
/Shaun

cozy little classification in the DSM."