Old June 16th 20, 08:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Western Digital quetion

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 01:44:07 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

Does anyone have comments about the quality/reliability difference
between WD Black and WD Blue? Their ads say the Blue line is for
everyday perforamnce and the Black line is for power computing.
Usually, whne I buy an HD, I choose "power computing" on the assumption
that those should be more reliable and have a longer time before it
fails.

Wrong.

Reliability, run-time length before what fails? A mechanical drive
may be shingled;- not shingled has different characteristics, new
technology and arguably less popular on an empirical bases. Western
Digital, sometime ago, shifted its marketing strategy, rather placed
impairments between a sense of precision possible in mechanical drives
and what advertising otherwise means to Western Digital. Whether a
shingled drive is received, or not, is one of consequences, WD
technology does not longer directly place on their drive
serial/manufacturer numbers in direct correlation. Probably, among
the first to that trend was an enterprise class-action lawsuit over
drives WD was timing-out prematurely for "hibernation" states;- that
the nomenclature was and while there meant that WD subsequently
released a program patch to address the drive firmware for optionally
prolonging a time-out sequence;- that later the nomenclature was not
there meant subsequent drives, after the lawsuit, WD did not longer
identify for direct end-user inferences for making the "right choice"
as an informed consumer.

Rather like asking which one, of possible hard drive purchases, is
most of all right among a barrel, if at all, of rotten apples.

How that usually translates is into what warrantee reputability means
to either a failure or dissatisfied situation, a purchaser "contracts"
for a part of the purchase price.

I see all my HDDs as failing, as an illustration, from 1T and 2T, or
one or two odd 1.5T class drives. The only one I do not see failing,
perhaps, is a single Western Digital 640G drive that has been running
24/7 and is over 20-years-old.

A back-up or mirror of a drive is the minimum thickness of cushion
between the rear and an hard surface of road when drives do fail.
Datum is not economic: What is priceless need mean nothing to a drive
manufacturer;- as they will fail, surely to be assured. (Figure
storage remotely for a branch science of computer entropy -- the
tendency for datum to randomize or lose integrity, at some precept
from its fundamental corollary, which is of course an intelligible,
more or less ideal, system back-up.)