Old August 6th 04, 11:54 PM
David Maynard

Jenny wrote:

It is clicking like something is hitting the case. It did this about a week
ago
and I just turned the system off, bought a new hard drive just in case and
backed up everything. Is it possible that this can be fixed. It is a
western
digital wd400. It is only year and half old. Would spinrite software maybe
help it? Any experience with this out there?

That sounds like the symptom referred to, descriptively enough, as the
'click of death' and if it follows the pattern of my WD drives the best you
can do is administer pain management; which you've done by buying a
replacement and backing up your data.

Next is to run the WD diagnostics to get the error code, or wait till
complete failure if it passes for the short term, and get a warranty
replacement.

In the mean time I'd check case temps because it may be you have a hot spot
around the hard drive that's causing premature failure.