Old February 2nd 06, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Installation boot problems on Opteron 144, Asus A8R-MVP system

Thnaks,

Couldn't boot from the CD until I tried the "garbage" trick which I
read o some other board. (basiclaly on boot from media, type some
gibberish and enter, thn proceed to boot as normal)

Ended up reinstalling the damn thing one more time. trying to get a
kernel or build one that will work with my sound and gigabit ethernet
card, without success.

If I install a kernel (not replace this time ) it does not boot up,
althout the stock FC4 kernel does. Any idea what could be wrong.

- If I install a prebuilt rpm of a kernel, it just reboots after
starrting to boot
- I just built my own kernel using rpmbuild, and it hangs, with a

"VFS: Cannot open root device 'LVM00/root" or unknown block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)"

Any thougts?