Old May 23rd 04, 07:51 PM
*Vanguard*

kony said in :
On Sun, 23 May 2004 01:11:03 -0500, "*Vanguard*"
wrote:

Trent© said in :
On Sat, 22 May 2004 20:26:40 GMT, "Brandon Brown"
wrote:

That's a VERY good idea... I should try that.

You better have a fast stop watch...unless they've radically changed
the limitations of ram drives!

So transfer the same file a hundred or a thousand times for a
repeated overwrite.

Huh? What's wrong with just transferring a 300MB single file? I
suppose he'd have to hunt down a 3rd party ramdrive driver though.

I assumed Trent was thinking the 64MB file on a 64MB ramdrive. Isn't
the max size for, say, the Microsoft ramdrive and many other freebie
ramdrive utilities about 64MB (I don't use a ramdrive)? A 64MB transfer
might finish too quickly that you wouldn't get enough time to make an
accurate measurement to compute the transfer rate. So I figure you
could transfer the file as many times as it takes to get about 10, or
more, seconds worth of traffic. Anything under a second would have too
much variance to make a good measurement; a difference of half a second
for a 1 second max measure is a lot more variance than half a second for
a 10 second measure, and the longer your total time the more accurate
the measurement. The OP said he was getting around 3MBps so, yeah, it
would take 20 seconds to transfer a 64MB file but that's under whatever
is currently throttling his throughput and will probably not exist when
using a ramdrive. If the OP got just half of the 127MBps from the PCI
bus when using a ramdrive, his transfer of a 64MB file would be under a
second which is way too short for an accurate measurement.

The OP wouldn't need 1000 copy commands in a .bat file. He could just
run "FOR /L %variable IN (start,step,end) DO command
[command-parameters]" from a command prompt. The idea is to generate
enough traffic over a long enough time period to provide a reasonable
measurement. I'd just keep upping the end value until the transfer of
all copies took around 10 seconds. However, it would be difficult to
keep track of how many times the FOR look had looped: couting hundreds
or thousands of lines of output would be too arduous, and not possible
unless the DOS window were configured to enlarge its buffer to thousands
of lines. Run the following:

for /l %i in (1,1,N) do (
copy src dest nul
echo Copy %1 completed.
)

You can put this in a .bat file. You can also run this from the command
prompt: you get a "More?" prompt until you close the compound statement
(i.e., enter the closing parenthesis). I would start out with N = 10
and move up from there, like to 100, multiples of 100, 1000, multiples
of 1000, until I got 10 seconds worth of traffic. You know the size of
the file, how many times it got transferred, and the time it took.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.