Old July 30th 03, 07:36 PM
J.Clarke

On 30 Jul 2003 01:08:38 -0700
(Ioi Lam) wrote:

The ATI web site says MPEG2 capturing requires 500Mhz processor. I am
thinking of buying a Celeron 500MHz PC (it's small and quiet). Is this
border-line case good enough for MPEG2 capturing? Does anyone have a
similar setting?

Depends on what resolution you want to use, but I think you'll find it
_very_ marginal--I still drop the occasional frame at high-res with an
Athlon 1400 and RAID. On hardware that slow I'd go with the Hauppauge
PVR-250 or 350 or if you can find one the old Matrox G200 Marvel, all
of which have dedicated hardware for MPEG-2 compression--I think you'll
be a lot happier with one of those with that processor.

Thanks

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)