Old December 10th 14, 04:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

Default bought non-wireless priinter by mistake

On 12/9/14 2:35 PM, micky wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 05:42:49 -0700, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 12/8/14 9:29 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 10:00:07 -0700, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 12/7/14 1:59 PM, micky wrote:

snip

If he has a new Mac desktop, a new Mac laptop, and an iPad, why bother
with the old stuff? It seems a waste of time to me.

See below.

Back when my Mac was new, I took it to my inlaws to show them a Mac.
They are all Windows users. Their son brought his HP XP laptop. It
took me about 10 minutes to get connected to their network. It took
their son 3 hours to get his XP laptop connected.

No joke.

I don't know if this is related. I took an old IBM Thinkpad on a car
trip to Dallas and most motels had a password I was supposed to enter.
I could almost never get it to work if there was a passwords. This was
running winME!

Now like my friend I have an Acer netbook running XP and it connects
just fine. The engine failed near Ashville, N.C and if I didn't have a
computer to shop for another car, I would have had to go buy one.

In this case, and my nephew's case, hardware may also be part of the
problem.

I think this is a downside of the "open" way MS has done things, some
thing no one seems to talk about. Someone puts out an accessory card
that's somehow just a little bit different than what the programming
expects, and the system fails. But Apple's "walled garden" approach
seems to keep this to a minimum.

I was once rebuilding a Gateway desktop to give away, XP for the OS.
After installing OS updates, the computer would not shut down. Tracked
the issue down to a particular high security update. Leave it out,
worked fine. MS offered free tech support for this update, and I kept
escalating it up the food chain until I was dealing with MS engineers in
New Delhi, India, who finally gave up on the problem.

I'm no trained tech, but I sat and watched how the computer reacted, and
a couple weeks later I said to myself "I wonder what would happen
if.......") I put in an older Ethernet card, and everything worked fine.

IMO, you guys are wasting your time with getting the old equipment to
work together.

No, I was talking about getting the new equipment installed and working.
He wants wireless so he can print easily from the laptop, wherever he is
at the time. I"m sorry I was confusing.

Sorry here too, I should have said "getting the old equipment to work
together with the new printer.

If you set up the new stuff, and if he has an Apple
account, all three Apple products should talk to each other without a
hitch. For Apple apps, lets say the notepad, if you enter something
into the notepad app on the desktop, in a couple of minutes the data you
entered will be downloaded to the laptop and iPad. And vice-versa.

Caveat... The age and model of the iPad may be an issue. I'm not a big
Apple user, no iPad, no iPhone, no iPod, etc. I don't buy a product
because it's Apple, I buy what fits my needs/desires/wants. My tablet
is a Google Nexus 7, which is Android. :-)

I ended up buying the wireless print server that no one else bid on, for
15 + 6 dolllars. It 's going to take months his new stuff running,
but this is a start.

?????? The last sentence isn't making any sense to me. It shouldn't
take much time at all to get the new stuff running, if it's all Apple.

It will because it's still in the box. It's been in the box for 2
months and will remain there who knows how long.

And it will depend on how familiar you are with the Mac way of doing
things, too.

Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

Yeah, that's it.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5