Old January 12th 09, 12:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

Default Optiplex GX-280 and "sleep" mode

"Phil Gilmer" wrote in message
I have a Dell GX-280 that my daughter uses for a video server. It connects
to my LAN via Netgear wireless NIC. She accesses it from anywhere in the
house and sometimes has to transfer very large files back and forth from
her laptop. GX-280 goes into sllep/hybernate mode regardless of Windows XP
SP3 power settings. Power management cannot be disabled in the BIOS (A08,
the latest)--you have only the choice between S1 and S3. This is a problem
with Dell machines in general--I have seen many models of the Optiplex
systems with the issue. We can force the machine to remain active by
playing an mpeg file in an endless loop, but despite the nominal 2.8 gHz
rating the machine is pokey as crap and I hate wasting the CPU (yes, the
machine is scanned and is malware free--it's just a dog).

Has anyone ever found a way to actually disable power management?

Thanks,
Phil Gilmer

What XP 'power scheme' are you currently using ? "Always On" ?