Old July 26th 04, 02:12 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:27:22 +0000, JB wrote:

A friend has asked my advice on a from-scratch gaming rig.
I'm strictly an Intel guy, so I need advice as to
mobo, chipset I should look at (AMD). Specifically, what are the
pros/cons of various socket types and chipsets. Also, he wants
integrated giga bit LAN and sound. A starting point seems to be
a 64 bit Athlon 3400+, but nothing is set in stone.

You're on the right track The A64 is the best when it comes to gaming, and
most other things too.
For gigsbit lan, you probably want to look at an NF3-giga chipset with
built in gigabit lan. The 754 is the cheap route. You'll probably pay
close to double for 939 cpu's, for about a 15% gain.