View Single Post
Old July 13th 04, 11:34 PM
Sham B
external usenet poster

By ATitool or by eye?

I use Powerstrip to up the clocks. I dont use ATI tool, rather, I slowly set the OC up over time
whilst playing my normal games (Most of the recent ones...I find that Lock-on is the best test of
the GFX and CPU, although its prolly not a popular game, but also recently played BV and KOTOR a
lot). I run 10Mhz down from the max clock that satarts causing artifacts (ie noticeable by me when I
play). so its 'By eye'.

I was guessing I didn't have a heat problem, just
an inability-to-handle-the-frequency-problem.
That's why I thought a core voltage increase might
help - in a get-the-capacitors-charged-to-a-
threshold-voltage-faster sort of way. But I'm not
sure.

Um. Yeah, that might be the case, but the point is that your core seems to be low on overclockabilty
to start off with, and upping the core voltage is just increasing the severity of the problem that
is holding it back... If its some tranisistors that are at the low end of spec, then you are
increasing the chances of burning them out, and if its overall heating of the GPU, then you are
adding to the problem.

If you must overvoltage (and realistically, if I was in your position, I know I would try it, being
a consumate tinkerer , Id be tempted to suggest starting with an underclock+overvoltage (rather
than hitting the GPU with an overclock and overvoltage without knowing what is really holding it
back) and moving forward from there.

S