Old July 13th 04, 05:42 AM
Inglo

On 7/12/2004 5:07 PM Sham B brightened our day with:

I've fitted the Arctic VGA

Silencer, which claims to operate the GPU at much
lower temperatures than the standard cooler (and
the desk fan's there too). I thought I might
benefit from increasing the voltage to the GPU.

I did try changing the AGP signalling voltage to
1.6V, but that made no difference (I think) and I
can't really see why it should make any, to the
core.

Um. I have an artic on a 9800 pro and can get comforatably up to 430/370 (max is 445/380). Although
variability is a factor in silicon in general, your temps still seem low. Have you got the high and
low fan settings mixed around? I keep mine on high all the time btw. Also might be worth checking
that you are getting good thermal contact.

Upping the voltage makes the card hotter, which is more than likely making the heating problem
worse.

could be that you simply have a card with a hot GPU? I have the same problem with my processor,
XP2800 which simply crashes if the temp goes beyond 60 for more than a second, so any real
overclocking is out. Luck of the draw.

I have an arctic cooler on my 9800 Pro and the max core overclock I get
with ATITool is ~402. I don't know about ATITool though, it spots
artifacts that I don't even see.
Before I ever used ATITool I ran my old 9600 Pro at 475 (400 default)
core and never had a problem, but when I tried it with that card it said
the max overclock was ~448.
I'm kind of frustrated I thought ATITool would clear things up, just
makes things more confusing for me.

And how is it possible that ATITool says my memory can handle a max of
372, I've got regular Hynix memory and from what I've read people have a
hard time getting that to run at 365 with ramsinks on.

What do experienced 9800 overclockers use to judge their max overclock?
Is ATITool to sensitive to artifacts?

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]