Old January 24th 05, 01:52 AM
Dave

Default Gaming Machine Components

I'm trying to build a gaming machine, without spending a fortune (around
$1000CDN).

Here are a few things I want advice on:

::::Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT -vs- AMD64::::
I'm shading towards the Pent. 4 because there aren't many AMD board that are
PCI-Express compatible for a good video card...what do you think?

::::Video Card::::
I don't want to spend a fortune on this...probably not more than $300. From
what I've found, this is the best deal / performance / price, but I'm happy
to accept advice. An MSI NX6600GT (128mb PCI-Express). I found it for
about $250CDN.

::::Motherboard::::
I'm completely lost here. Basically, I want to be able to use PCI-Express
video cards (I understand they are significantly better than AGP), good
quality/speed RAM...other than that, I can't think of anything specific.
Nothing has to be onboard as I plan to buy the video and sound cards. If
LAN is onboard, that's fine, or I'll buy a card...not really a factor.
There are just so many out there that are so similar.

Well, in the last year or two there have been so many new types of RAM come
out. What would I be looking for to maximize performance, while keeping in
mind that I'm trying to keep costs down. I'm wanting at LEAST 512, but a
gig would be nice.

Any other suggestions you guys/gals have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help!