Old October 10th 04, 03:02 PM
m.marien

"John Hollingsworth" wrote in message
In article ,
(Marcus) wrote:

Is it possible to run 1 SATA drive on this board as the primary drive?
It appears that evenything related to SATA drives are Raid and have to
run in pairs. Am I misunderstanding? There is a Promise Raid Controller
and a VIA Controller that runs raid as well. I just want to setup a 1
SATA drive system. Can this MB do this?
I have another system with the A7N8X Deluxe and I run it with 1 SATA
Drive.

Thanks,

Marcus

You can run 1, (or 2), SATA drive(s), off the Promise controller with the
BIOS set to "IDE". Some people run 1 SATA drive off the Via controller.
Note: look for BIOS screen "advanced", "Onboard devices...", "onboard
Promise...", "operating mode" = IDE.

The problem comes with running XP64 beta with 2 x SATA drives in IDE mode
as separate disks, as there are no drivers for this option at present.

The XP64 driver doesn't work with a single SATA in IDE mode either. Can you
run the Promise controller in RAID with a single drive ? will XP64 load then
? and do you have to reformat if you change from IDE mode ?

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.