Old October 10th 04, 02:18 PM
Marcus

John,

Thanks for your help. I'll take a look at it today. I have installed the
promise driver during XP install but XP states there are no drives attached
to the system. I will try to load the VIA driver today I guess. I'm
connecting the SATA drive to the VIA SATA1 connector. There is the VIA SATA2
connector. Then, there are the SATA Raid1 and SATA Raid 2. But, it appears
the SATA1 and SATA2 can be used as Raid as well. A little confusing the me.

Thanks again,

Marcus

"John Hollingsworth" wrote in message
In article ,
(Marcus) wrote:

Is it possible to run 1 SATA drive on this board as the primary drive?
It appears that evenything related to SATA drives are Raid and have to
run in pairs. Am I misunderstanding? There is a Promise Raid Controller
and a VIA Controller that runs raid as well. I just want to setup a 1
SATA drive system. Can this MB do this?
I have another system with the A7N8X Deluxe and I run it with 1 SATA
Drive.

Thanks,

Marcus

You can run 1, (or 2), SATA drive(s), off the Promise controller with the
BIOS set to "IDE". Some people run 1 SATA drive off the Via controller.
Note: look for BIOS screen "advanced", "Onboard devices...", "onboard
Promise...", "operating mode" = IDE.

The problem comes with running XP64 beta with 2 x SATA drives in IDE mode
as separate disks, as there are no drivers for this option at present.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.