Old May 26th 04, 02:29 AM
Roland Scheidegger

edfiedler wrote:
I'd like to run the following processor in my Asus A7S333-Board.

Mobile Athlon XP-M - Standard 35W CPU OPN ( Teilenummer ADM ) AMD
Athlon AXMD1800FVQ3C Core Frequency
1533 MHZ Bus Frequenz 266 MHZ
Core Voltage 1.40 Volt Processor
Technology 0,13 micron Core
Thoroughbred

Is it possible? I think the only crucial thing is VCore voltage. I
can't set the VCore voltage in the bios. So I don't know if the board
recognizes the mobile CPU and delivers the 1.40 volt needed. Does
anybody know?

It probably should work. Often though mobile cpus are not correctly
identified, which isn't a problem. However, the board should have
capability to change multiplier, if not it _might_ only run at a 6x
multiplier, happens at least with some boards (mobile xp's can change
multiplier on-the-fly). (There are tools around which allow you to
change the multiplier in windows, things like crystalcpuid and cpumsr,
but they don't work with all chipsets.)
Also, the voltage will not be correctly read by the board, since the VID
coding for mobile cpus is different. 1.4V for a mobile cpu will get you
1.55V, 1.45V (I thought all mobile xp-m mainstream are 1.45V?) will get
you 1.575V. At least I think that no desktop board correctly identifies
mobile VID codes. Not that it wouldn't work with that voltage, but if
you buy it especially for a low-power/silent system, it kinda defeats
the purpose...

Thanks in advance Eduard Fiedler

p.s. Which altenative board would work?

Generally, boards which allow undervolting are a good bet. There aren't
many, though, often they only allow overvolting (especially all current
asus boards). Favourite boards for mobile athlon xp-m cpus are shuttle
an35n-ultra (no stupid fan on northbridge, goes down to 1.1V, very
cheap), DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B / DFI Infinity Nforce2 Ultra (same
board basically, also down to 1.1V, no fan, much better equipped than
the shuttle). Common choice would be abit nf7-s, but it's less than
ideal for a very quiet system (needs northbridge hsf replacement, only
goes down to 1.3V). I'm sure there are lots of other boards, but reviews
unfortunately often don't mention if undervolting is possible. If you
don't want a quiet system and can live with the higher than necessary
voltage, pretty much any board with adjustable multiplier setting (and
also some boards without that, but it's hard to figure out which
ones...) in the bios should work.
You CAN change the voltage if you really try hard though, even with
boards which don't support it (bridge modding).

Roland