Old June 30th 12, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Looking or info on my computer hardware

Dave wrote:

Pen wrote ...

Dave wrote:

Compaq SR1522X

Your machine has a SATA Hard Drive not IDE. See:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=501581

Oh, man. THANK YOU. What did we do before the Internet? Thank you so
much.

If you cannot return the IDE hard disk, and if your motherboard doesn't
have an IDE header, you can use an IDE-to-SATA adapter on the device
(IDE side to the IDE drive's connector, SATA side via cable to the SATA
header on the motherboard).

That's just one example of such an adapter. In an old host, I had an
Abit Serillel adapter to go from IDE to SATA (I think it came bundled
with my old Abit motherboard). For a description of it, see:

Overall picture of Serillel adapter:
http://www.hw.by/images/AT7-2/serillel.jpg
IDE side (plugs into IDE drive):
http://www.pcbonto.hu/portal/static/...0839_orig1.jpg
SATA side (SATA and power cables go to this side):
http://www.pcbonto.hu/portal/static/...0839_orig2.jpg
Wiring diagram:
http://www.fileshosts.com/disks/sata/abit-serillel2.jpg

SATA is configured one drive per SATA port, so make sure the IDE drive
is jumpered (or defaults without jumpers) as the Master device. It
worked over the years but eventually I got a bigger drive that was SATA
so I didn't need the adapter. Make sure you have room behind the hard
disk, the drive cage, and whatever is behind the drive to make sure you
have room to use whatever adapter you choose; else, get a SATA drive.

If this is a new purchase, you might be able to return the IDE drive for
a SATA equivalent; however, the [online] store will probably charge a
restocking fee (which is more expensive then getting the IDE-to-SATA
adapter with its shipping cost).