Old January 3rd 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

Default Latitude D610, DVD/CD ROM

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 14:25:53 -0600, "RnR" wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:00:25 -0600, "BillW50" wrote:

In ,
Charles typed on Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:07:27 -0600:
After some extensive traveling the past week with my laptop I realized
last night that the light is on constantly on the CD/DVD drive and the
drive will not open. Rebooted several times and removed and replaced
the drive also and no change. It also does not show in Device
Manager. Have I lost it or is there anything else I can try?

Hi Charles! That sure sounds like the optical drive is shot. A lot of
laptops it is very easy to replace the optical drive. And many of them
will take virtually any slimline optical drive.

I am working on my niece's D610 and her optical drive is a Philips. And
it is currently having problems with any DVD with copy protection. I
updated the firmware, but no help. I may end up replacing the drive and
I welcome any hints how to on a D610.

I also have a few external USB optical drives. So this is another option
for you. They are handy to use as a second optical drive for laptops and
the main optical drive for netbooks.

Bill, I couldn't have but laugh "but not at you". Why do I get the

Excuse me Bill for my typo... (I'm under the weather today)

Bill, I couldn't help but laugh "but not at you". Why do I get the

feeling that many of us regulars on this newsgroup service our
families/extended families' pc and laptops g ? I know I do
sometimes and it's not necessarily on a voluntary basis even tho it's
still a free service .

Bill, not sure you have this already but maybe this will help...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm