Old February 6th 04, 04:45 AM
kony

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:33:13 -0500, Cyde Weys wrote:

Okay, I did what you suggested and the fan in the power supply whirs for
a fraction of a second, does maybe one rotation, and then dies. This is
repeatable. So what do I do now? It sounds like the power supply is
indeed at fault.

To verify, you had a load attached? Many power supplies that need an
external load, would do just that, power on only long enough to stir
the fan, then shut off.

Assuming you did have the optical drive attached, that would indicate
a failure of the power supply. Confirmation would be obtained by
testing it, as w_tom mentioned, taking the voltage readings would be
something I'd advise if you'd had a voltage meter handy. Then again,
I already knew those were junk power supplies, so if spending the
least amount of $ was the goal I'd put the $10 for a voltage meter
towards a better power supply rather than chancing it on that one at
this point. Then again, a multimeter is a handy tool to have, the
more you learn/do/etc, the more likely you'll have another need for
one.

Even if you don't want to repair it, opening it (after unplugged from
AC for a minute or two) will probably reveal what failed... more often
than not there's visual sign of the failed component(s).