Old January 19th 09, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Robert Blass

Default EP45-UD3P motherboard , freezer 7 pro HSF fan will NOT spin on power-up??

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 02:35:57 -0500, Kris sayd the following:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:41:32 -0500, Robert Blass wrote:

Freezer 7 Pro HSF Cooler: Fan will not spin on computer power on?

I've let it go as long as 10 whole seconds before giving up and
turning the power OFF again.

It does this little bump, back and forth, maybe 1/10th of a turn and
then nothing at all. The heatsink on this thing is enormous but
wouldn't the fan not spinning cause serious damage to the cpu?

I've been told by some people in forums that it's 'normal' for that
model to not spin for many seconds during a boot. I've never heard of
a hsf who's fan didn't start immediately upon power being turned on
either.

It's a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard with a qaud-core Q9400 on it.

If anyone can assit I'd be thankful....

I own/use that board and yes, it is slow to kick in the cpu fan, HOWEVER...
I would plug that fan into another fan header on that board and power on
for 10 seconds and see if it kicks. Also plug a different fan into the cpu
header and see how long it takes to kick on power on.

i have a Xigmatek s1283. it takes at least 5 seconds for it to start. I
do not use the bios fan failure warning as a result because if I do, it
beeps at me for at least 5 seconds every cold power-up. This is partially
the bios / board not telling the fan to rotate until the temp goes up a
little. (see my specs in my sig below)

Could NOT connecting the 8-pin 12v connector on the motherboard be the
problem?????