Old October 16th 04, 03:24 PM
E.D.

"Gerard Bok" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:43:50 +0200, "E.D."
wrote:

I have 3 computers coupled to a Linksys wireless router, that is coupled

a braodband connection. All computers are XP and the IP numbers are

through
DHCP.

In the network card properties of the laptop card I then set a static IP
address.
This works -for both the built in network adapter as well as the wireless
card- but the weird thing is that I now can make contact with the network
again, but not with the internet, eventhough i get the message that

internet
is now connected.

That's the way it should be. You now have a valid IP address but
no DNS server (normally you would obtain both from DHCP).

What can I do to fix it.

Go to the device manager and remove the network card there. (Just
select and click 'remove', no need to open the case !)

Windows will find 'new hardware' and install the required drivers
and reinstall the TCP/IP stack. (And you don't need the bridge !)

Pretty good chance this will undo your son's modifications :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Thanks, actually I tried that and it did not help. Fortunately though, the
problem is fixed. I switched a couple of times between static and dynamic IP
and suddenly the dynamic IP kicked in again. I still do not know what coused
it to go bad and what caused it to work again. It lasted days, including a
re-install.

Anyway. What you said about the DNS makes sense in general terms, I already
presumed that me leaving that empty would not be a good idea.

If it happens again, perhaps I just let my son play with it a little longer
and he'll undo it again. He managed one time to reprogram my all region DVD
to a single region DVD just by haphazard pushing of butttons on the remote.
Oh well, Kids!