Old July 9th 16, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default What's the connector used to terminate a keyboard wire called?

On 7/9/2016 8:38 AM, Veek. M wrote:
http://storage1.static.itmages.com/i...2ac4dc2df9.png

I have a USB keyboard with a defective cable (i'm retaining the USB-A
connector). I'm replacing it with a normal cable from a PS2 which i need
to solder to the USB-A plug/connector. What you are seeing is the opened
keyboard-PCB connector and PS2 connector (internal that;s plugged into
it). I want the name of the white connector (it's a 5 hole female
rectangular thingy) that plugs into a male 5-pin/needle connector that's
soldered on to the keyboard pcb

Looks to be a standard IDC connector such as one would find for a USB
connection on a motherboard. One would have to measure the pin spacing to
be more certain. They can be either white or black and the color doesn't
really mean anything. If you don't have the proper crimper and experience,
it might be easier to buy a short cable with the proper connector and then
splice into that. Here is an example of a ready-made cable:

https://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-...ble~USBINT5PIN

or you might have an unused example inside your computer -- sometimes there
are connections provided that are not used (but it might take a bit of
nerve for a novice to start cutting cables, even unused ones, inside a
computer case).